Do you think it's okay to keep a snake as a pet? Anything and everything

What is your opinion?

When it is legal. Why not?

I see no inconvenient with it as long as it :
- Is legalized/framed in legislation.
- Doesn't include potentially invasive species because of how detrimental some are.
- Doesn't include protected/endangered species unless very specific cases.

Snakes and reptils are cool, but I think they need more attention and knowledge than a dog, a cat or even a pet like a ferret.

Mmh no, not really, they could suffer because they are predators and they need to hunt in the nature

I don't think so. Snakes are complex animals and they have specific needs that are nearly impossible to meet in captivity. You must provide spectrum lighting, specific temperatures and humidity levels, precise diets and feeding schedules, and lots of space. They’re wary animals who don’t like being held, touched, petted, or passed around. Life in captivity is dreadfully stressful for them. It would not be an adoption but rather enslavement for them.

No animal is suited to living its life in a cage.

I don't think so. Snakes are complex animals and they have specific needs that are nearly impossible to meet in captivity. You must provide spectrum lighting, specific temperatures and humidity levels, precise diets and feeding schedules, and lots of space. They’re wary animals who don’t like being held, touched, petted, or passed around. Life in captivity is dreadfully stressful for them. It would not be an adoption but rather enslavement for them.
1.) What are these needs?! 2.) Almost all snake owners provide the conditions you listed. 3.) They like to be warm, and the person, as it were, is warm. 4.) Is life in a pet store cage a paradise?!?

No animal is suited to living its life in a cage.
It's true, but who said that it will live in a cage?

1.) What are these needs?! 2.) Almost all snake owners provide the conditions you listed. 3.) They like to be warm, and the person, as it were, is warm. 4.) Is life in a pet store cage a paradise?!?

I don't really agree with diogenes' point. There is indeed specific needs, but it's like for oother pets : it's breed ((or here species) dependent and you can probably seek for help with it. Big spaces aren't always nice for a snake. Actually, small/young ones probably prefer small areas with a lot of places to hide or they'd get stressed for nothing.

Are you an ophiologist? Let me guess: no. You are talking about a life in a pet storage cage. Those cages in pet shops exist because of you. You demand the snake, and they supply the snake. If no demand, then no supply. So no need to act the hero adopting them from the pet shop cages. They must live in their own natural habitats. Period.

Are you an ophiologist? Let me guess: no. You are talking about a life in a pet storage cage. Those cages in pet shops exist because of you. You demand the snake, and they supply the snake. If no demand, then no supply. So no need to act the hero adopting them from the pet shop cages. They must live in their own natural habitats. Period.

"If there is no demand, then there is no supply." So you can say about anything! ..

"If there is no demand, then there is no supply." So you can say about anything! ..

Our power as consumers is precisely there. We can stop the less ethical products, by ceasing to buy them

I know some people who has a snake at home and glad to have it. Why not? If you can make special condituons for this animal. As far as I know its not dufficult

Our power as consumers is precisely there. We can stop the less ethical products, by ceasing to buy them
No supply, no demand, but it's a law that forbade dogs and cats to be sold in a pet shop in France and frame the trafic ongoing on the internet at the moment.

if it's safe why not