[moved] How Did Penpal-Gate Start? Comments and suggestions

albert02711
albert02711
Casual

Vedlen, can you tell me more about this site,please, how did it start? how any people is using it ? or whatever you wanna share!
greetings

Etienne
Etienne
Administrator

Hey,

What do you want to know about it? There are nearly 19 thousands members as I'm writing this, and the project started about 2 years ago. I started it because at the time I was looking for pen-pals back a few years ago, I couldn't find a site with the ergonomics I was looking for. That's why I decided to build my own penpal site, along with a friend who's a web designer. We've really put a lot of work on it but now I'm basically the only one taking care of the community 90% of the time.

xRacerX972
xRacerX972
Casual

I'm new here, but I think you guys did a pretty good job.. I guess since you're the one taking care of the place most of the time, you probably got stuck with the tab too eh? I bet it can be pretty costly to have some ISP host this site, especially with this many members (and growing).. You know, it probably wouldn't hurt to set up a way for donations, many people love this site and would love to see it always up and running.. I would even donate.. Overall, I can't think of anything to add, but I do have two suggestions - I did not see an option to turn off sounds or email notifications..

Other than that, keep up the good work!
-racerx

Etienne
Etienne
Administrator

I'm new here, but I think you guys did a pretty good job.. I guess since you're the one taking care of the place most of the time, you probably got stuck with the tab too eh? I bet it can be pretty costly to have some ISP host this site, especially with this many members (and growing).. You know, it probably wouldn't hurt to set up a way for donations, many people love this site and would love to see it always up and running.. I would even donate.. Overall, I can't think of anything to add, but I do have two suggestions - I did not see an option to turn off sounds or email notifications..

Other than that, keep up the good work!
-racerx

Thank you for appreciating our work. :) A donation box hasn't been set up for a couple reasons:
- most of the members are teens and teens tend to not donate (which I understand too);
- members who are willing to donate can do it by upgrading their account to VIP.

Yes, hosting a site costs definitely way more than most people think. I'm sure 99% think it's even free! ;)

There is an option to turn off sounds ("My account" section). However there is no option to turn off (all) email notifications. I thought about this, then got stuck with too much work and I guess I focused on features that would be noticed more than this one. But you're right!

Remus
Remus
Global Moderator

hey vedlen...any news about the separate (by language) chat-rooms ? :D

Etienne
Etienne
Administrator

Sorry for the late reply. Chat-rooms separated in different languages is not on the list of upcoming changes (as of today)