Hey there,

I'm glad you are reading this. Because I like to address how essential the evolution of biosensors is the past few years. But what exactly is a biosensor? A biosensor is a device that is portable, easy to use and feasible to detect certain concentrations in your blood plasma. Just try to compare it with a blood glucose meter for patients with diabetes. For a clear picture of what a biosensor is, you can watch an introductory video (animatic) of SensUs, a student team that organizes an international student competition for biosensors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W95w3D2ZtUk

But why are biosensors needed in the medical field? Nowadays, a few biosensors are known, such as to measure glucose or cholesterol in your blood. For other diseases such as rheumatic arthritis, epilepsy is still no efficient solution found. Every time when medication for the latter is needed, a consult of a doctor needed. With a biosensor, it can detect the concentration a biomarker (see video) very easily and accurately, without having a doctor to prescribe you a certain dose. Also, this saves a lot of money and time. Do note that glucose meters haven't been existing that long. As we really need the progress of this kind of similar application to other diseases.

I hope this short introduction towards biosensors let you think differently about medical applications. As we need to have powerful and simple techniques to measure the blood level of patients to get more insight into how to help them treat them disease as comfortable, feasible as possible.

For more information about biosensors or SensUs, please have a look into www.sensus.org
You are also always free to ask me some questions about biosensors here below. Please discuss. I'll be happy to respond.

All the best,
Henry