Scottish independence/ independence movements across Europe Politics and governments

Martin98
Martin98

In 2014 there will be a referendum on Scottish independence. With other regions in Europe following Scotland's example, does this mean a large scale break up of hundred year old countries.

Remus
Remus
Global Moderator

Do you think, as a Scot, that the referendum will be in favour of Scottish independence? And what other European regions are seriously considering taking such measures? (just asking because I don't really know any apart from let's say Basque Country and Catalonia in Spain)

Martin98
Martin98

I think the way the polls are going it will be a yes vote. ( I am led to belive, but i may be wrong) that there are a couple of movements across Europe. First there is, as you mentioned, Catalonia. It is seaking to hold a referendum on the issue. Then their is the Basque Country. There is a movement in Italy to make the north independent. And in Belgium there is stuff happening between the Flemish and Walloons. But I think Scottish independence will serve as an example for others to follow, it has been suggested that it would cause a domino effect across Europe.

Remus
Remus
Global Moderator

I'm only thinking about the Kosovo independence in 2008 which didn't really create any domino effect, so even if Scotland will split I doubt any other region will do so until the end of this decade.

LaurentLyon
LaurentLyon
Casual

Separatism are only promoted by the same people who built their Europe. Dividing for ruling over the others. French Political Sciences Doctor Pierre Hillard wrote different books about all the european (and specially germans) institutions following this goal, seperatism. You should get some infos about that.